Monday, May 4, 2009

My favorite ports per segment

Although I enjoyed all the ports I have been keeping track of my favorite ones on each of the four segments.

I loved all the ports on segment one but Easter Island was the standout for me. I was in awe of the giant Moai and the culture that created them.

For segment two Rabaul in Papa New Guinea was the most amazing experience. Standing at the foot of a gurgling volcano with the water boiling at my feet and hearing the grumbling of the volcano took my breath away.

Angkor Wat and Cambodia were the best experience of the entire cruise. I almost missed it as I did not realize how special these places were and had not planned my own overland. However I was saved by Susie from cruise critic who did all the research and shared her results. The end result was it being ranked the number one experience on the world cruise.

Segment four had a three way tie for best experiences. Oman was fabulous. The Middle East is so different from the US that I didn't know what to expect. Oman intrigued me. Second in the three way tie was Italy. I love Italy and have always enjoyed exploring more of it. Third was Ireland. Blarney castle was an unexpected treasure.

4 comments:

siuc78 said...

I have been following your blog from the beginning of your cruise and have really enjoyed it. I think a world cruise would be wonderful and I appreciate all of your honest comments about the ports, time on the ship, etc. You commented about focusing on other types of travel...do you still want to cruise or are you over that?! Anyway, thanks for the comments, pictures and tips for any future world cruisers.
Marianne

AWorldCruise4Me said...

Hi Marianne,
I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. I hope you also get to go on a world cruise.

My comment on focusing on new adventures was meant to say I no longer had the desire to do a world cruise. One was enough for me. However I do have several other cruise itineraries I would like to do. One is a circle South America cruise with ports almost every day. Another is a river cruise between St. Petersburg and Moscow. A third would be Antarctica.

Unfortunately right now I can't even begin to contemplate another cruise. I'm all cruised out for who knows how long. This may be a problem as I have the second half of my airline ticket scheduled in Nov. to line up with a 3 continent cruise which brings me back to the US. I looked at the itinerary today and it has alot of repeat ports from the world cruise which does not appeal to me. As a result, I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do with the second half of the airline ticket.

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you again for doing the blog. I know it is costly and time consuming and frequently frustrating to do this everyday from a cruise ship. One thing I really liked about your reports was your honesty. Many times when I read cruise blogs everything is all perfect and as anyone who has cruised knows, that's just not the case. I also love your independence and it has given me great hope for my own adventures. I'm glad you made it home safely.

AWorldCruise4Me said...

Blair, I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. I enjoyed writing it. I think the discipline it enforces for processing pictures and recording memories is useful for such a long and diverse trip. I'm sure I'll be glad to have it to go back and read from time to time so I can relive the adventure.

I too am glad to be home safe. Sometimes I wasn't so sure that would be the result and subsequently tried to curtail my adventurousness.